Monday, February 25, 2008

Walkin

Annika can walk. Its been coming on gradually, but not really gradually, because when someone is young enough that you count their age in months everything is fast. Fast, fast, fast! So, she's been able to take this many steps and then this many steps, etc. Now she can, depending on the given attempt, walk across the room. The word "toddler" is very apt, because she looks like she's on the last 100 feet of a marathon, or yes, extremely tipsy and on a boat in a storm. But, man, does she do it well!
She is also very aware that this is a major accomplishment. Partly because we praise her, but also because it changes so many things for her. Her vantage point is higher. I think she knows that her speed will increase. She knows she might get to the stairs before I get the gate up. She knows that she just might reach the knives in the dishwasher before I can close it, for once. She knows that she will be able to run with the other kids. She knows. I don't know how, but I can sense it. I can smell change in the air. (This last sentence is best said in a field, by the fence, with work clothes, dusty hands, and a piercing, knowing look into the distance. Or, I suppose you could be holding a really stinky baby.)
Back to Annika: she is getting really good at mimicking sounds and tones and vowels. If we sing, she'll join in. If we say a word, deliberately with a long oooo, or eeee, or aaaa (i know there are technical ways to write specific sounds but I don't know them) she will mimic. Also, when she is excited, its always an ooooo.
Lately, when she wakes up, (she always wakes up in the morning in a good mood. we'll listen to her for a half hour, cooing to herself.) So, lately, I'll go in there, and she be sitting and reading a book. She's gotten attached to a book with cut outs in it, so its really easy to hold, so she keeps it in her crib. And, really, she'll be sitting in bed, happy as can be, reading her book. Out loud!
Energy, energy, energy! At home its great, because she can entertain herself for a long time. She doesn't need much attention, though she likes it when we give it, of course. She will happily play while I clean or work on something else. Talking to other moms, this is a huge blessing!
Now, about my hair. I haven't done anything yet, but I found a picture with my hair color in it. Caramel. Which is great, I do love caramel. A lot. But I'm too poor to pay for something as seemingly frivolous as hair color. Maybe I'll do it anyway.
Its beautiful and sunny, so I'm going for a walk! Hooray!

2 comments:

Beee said...

It is so exciting to hear about Annika walking. This will only keep you on your toes more. Of course, this is not personal experience, but from watching other friends that have little ones. In fact, just yesterday, I visited a friend who just had her second baby. He is so cute and lovable, as is her two-year old. She said her and her husband wanted four children, but having to take care of the baby with a two year old running around, she's just not sure how she would do it with three, let alone a fourth. I heard it is a big step going from one to two, but after that three is not that big of a difference. I could be wrong, that is what I heard. Nice tangent I suppose. It is so fun to read about Miss Annika. Thanks for sharing!

Manda said...

I think Annika has had a glint in her eye from the day she was born. Which to me had that meaning you're talking about when you say that "she knows". Also, I'm glad she is able to entertain herself while you do other things. And I think she gets the love of reading from both parents. Finally, it's very appropriate that she "coos" (she must inherit that trait from her father's nickname).