When I heard that the funeral services for President Hinckley were going to be 3 hours long, I blanched a little. John and I planned to watch some of it via the internet, but we didn't think we'd last for all 3.
We were riveted. Tears streaming down our faces at parts. I kept picturing the reunion, both of them looking how they did on their wedding day. I kept wondering how a reunion with His Savior would be, how proud Jesus is of him. What kind of joy to at last return to his friend, knowing he had done EVERYTHING he possibly could have. The phrase, "Well done, my good and faithful servant" becomes so much clearer.
So, the recurring thought and reason for my tears, was this: this whole plan, this gospel, this plan, this Savior, its all real. Its all so real. President Hinckley knew with perfect knowledge where his sweetheart was and where he was going. And, because of the joy of thinking of their reunion, I couldn't stop thinking about the sublime blessing of eternal marriage, and the unspeakably wondrous blessing that I've been given to marry John in the temple.
I was also struck by President Hinckley's work ethic. He literally wore out his life in Christ's service, building His kingdom. And that is what we need to be doing. It is not enough to be only working on our own salvation, on our own testimony and righteousness. We need to get our own "houses" in order so that we are ready to build the kingdom. President Hinckley wasn't the prophet because he had his own testimony. He was prophet because God knew that he could trust President Hinckley to work and work and work. (God may think I'm being a little presumptous, explaining His method of choosing his servants.) Anyway, I need to "forget myself and get to work."
So I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
AMEN!
Post a Comment