No, not the classic thriller where the babysitter realizes that the threatening caller is INSIDE THE HOUSE!. No, I just mean that for the last several days I have had specific errands and plans that included leaving my house. A few of them have worked. Most of them have not. Annika needs to wake up. She needs a diaper change. She needs food. She needs a few seconds to play. She needs a nap. (The food part takes long enough that she really is ready for her morning nap that soon.) So, after her nap, she'll need a diaper change. And some food. Then I might be able to leave the house. But probably not. The reasons are legion.
Reasons to stay in cute, happy house forever and ever. A few weeks ago, John said, as casually as he could, "something's coming from Amazon. Don't open it." Hmmm! I said, "is it for me?!!!" Of course it was. This is several weeks before Valentine's Day! I'm not that thoughtful or prepared (granted, John is HARD to shop for), so I was a little scared, but I found something simple and thoughtful that was perfect for him. Anyway, I enjoyed 2 or 3 whole weeks of smiling, knowing that he'd already thought of this! I like being ridiculously in love. Oh, he got me the DVD of What's Up Doc. Funniest movie ever, especially if you like to laugh. I already had the video, but we don't have a working VCR and clearly never will again. It was perfect and thoughtful without being mushy and, oddly enough, I had specifically thinking, days before, that I was sad that some of my favorite movies (What's Up Doc most importantly) are on video and I can't watch them.
So, huzzah!
On a selfish and greedy topic: my thoughtful friend invited a few of us over yesterday to decorate cookies that she had already made. We decorated and ate some cookies and then we (they) made cute valentines out of crafty and cute thingybobs. As some of you may know, I am very crafty. But not with cute thingybobs. More in the Mr. Burns kind of way, tapping my fingers together and laughing, "bwahahaha". So, paper and grommits and rivets and trivets and die cuts and thingybobs make me very nervous. Except the trivets. I actually have some. They aren't crafty, but they rhyme with rivets. And I like Wallace and Grommit. But, neither of those were actually there, calming me and giving me confidence. It took me the better (worst) part of 30 minutes to make one very boring red and white card with stamps on it. I had to fix several stamping mistakes and was crippled by the idea of figuring out how to cut the right sized paper to fit into the other paper to cover my first stamp mishap. If any of this is making your head spin (or bob), think of how I felt. How I felt was this. Lame. Dumb. Stupid. Incompetent.
So, my dear, competent, not lame, not dumb, not stupid and very thoughtful and generous friend handed me a few ready made tags, put cookies into cellophane bags and made them visiting teachee ready. So, I have cute, not ugly, cookies and cards to take to them. I've never met them. I'm always scared meeting my new assigned friends. And my baby is asleep. And I have errands when she wakes up.
And, I just want to eat the cookies myself because what they don't know won't hurt them. Or make them fat. I said to myself, out loud, "what they don't know won't hurt them." And then I also said to myself, out loud, in my most annoying, self-righteous manner, "yes, but it'd hurt me." Hmmph.
If the cookies are still in my house at the end of the day, I can't vouch for their safety.
The real dilemma here is that the above mentioned friend reads this blog and she is probably less than proud of me now. Serves her right for making yummy cookies and giving them to me.
Happy Valentine's Day! I might have had gifts for all of you, but what you don't know won't hurt you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well, I for one am expecting cookies and cute crafty items...wait...no, I'm not.
We got valentined Tuesday night: the ward's youth made (and frosted!) cookies and left a plate of them on our doorstep along with a bunch of construction paper hearts taped to the porch. Huzzah for teenagers and their leaders!
Hee hee hee. I actually ate some of my visiting teachees' cookies!So now you don't have to be embarrassed if you did too!
I brought the cookies!!! I was so proud of myself!!! And we had Ice Cream and Snickers for Valentine's Day dessert, so I knew I'd be ok.
Bwa-ha-ha-ha! You are so crafty! Always scheming to get your long bony fingers on my beautiful, new red socks. But I am on to you! And you will never find them!
Post a Comment