Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Rachmaninoff

I wasn't planning on writing anything in particular, but Renee Fleming started singing Vocalise (courtesy of KBYU). For any of you who don't know, this song is the reason I married John.
We'd broken up. We REALLY liked each other, but dating seemed like more work than joy. (Different story, and probably not a future blog entry.) We hung out a week or so later, and he said that he'd gotten me something. Except very early on in the dating and on my birthday, this was very uncharacteristic. I was very intrigued!
Background: I had bought a piano very recently. I was compiling music and had been listening to KBYU. (It all comes back to KBYU! The circle of ...?) I heard something by Rachmaninoff, piano, not vocal. I was thinking to myself that I needed some music by Rachmaninoff, not that I'd be able to play it in this lifetime, but, that was what I was thinking.
So, sitting on the couch with my now ex-boyfriend, he hands me a manilla envelope. I pull out sheet music to Rachmaninoff's Vocalise. John had gotten it for me, because he thought I'd sing it nicely. I MELTED! I also feared for my heart, on account of the whole break-up thing.
For those being held in suspense, we got married, we have a baby and we just bought a house. But, I don't blame you the worry, I was held in suspense for a long time on that one, too.
Anyway, I like Rachmaninoff. But, I've been listening to Renee this whole time, and I'm embarrassed to admit, that she is not, in fact, singing Vocalise. I've known that for some time now, but it still seemed like a good story to tell.

Shoot, it was Kiri TeKanewa. I knew I recognized the voice.

No comments: