Thursday, November 20, 2008

The joys of Christmas

So, I sing with a regional church choir that does a few performances during the Christmas and Easter seasons and I'm enjoying this. However, when we reconvened for the season, our director announced that we were going to be the choir for a stake performance of The Forgotten Carols. Any of you who know me well may imagine my response. (No, it was not jubilation.)
I really don't like mormon pop. At all. And, I'm finding that I'm not all that fond of this "play." At all.
I had committed to this project and fewer sopranos were showing up as time passed and I felt that I really couldn't just quit. Also, we are singing our regular Christmas concert with real Christmas music and I want to be a part of that.
So, I'm feeling like a martyr and doing my best (who am I kidding, I'm a real brat and have a rebellious, superior feeling while singing this cheese-fest and not singing in the spirit of the words at all.) But, then, we receive our practice schedule. Our EXTRA practice schedule.
5 extra practices that include Saturday mornings, Friday nights, etc. I will miss our ward Christmas party, in which I was asked to sing with a group I'd really like to sing with.
Waaah. I know, this is such a lame complaint, but waaah. When I was trying to decide whether or not to continue, I was preparing a lesson for my class on Dependability. Hmmph.
In good news, baby is progressing as he should and all my tests were fine and I'm perfectly healthy. I'm sore all the time, but much less (ask John for veracity of this statement) cranky about it. We've started decorating baby's room, but I'm not doing so well with it. I had a great idea to paint our otherwise nice looking changing table a nice blue color. I thought it was made of pressboard and whatever plastic veneer they put on, so I thought that you couldn't just sand and paint it. I asked the paint person at Home Depot and she said, yes, spray paint for plastic would work. It didn't. John has been doing all the labor that goes with my ideas and he ended up with blue ears and boogers. The table is splotchy and uneven, but worse, the paint wipes off a little. I don't feel comfortable using this for my baby, so wethink we're going to have sand and repaint. Ie. John is going to have to sand and repaint. He's very long-suffering. Also, he doesn't speak up when he thinks my ideas are way off the mark. I wish he would! I think he's starting to get the idea. I can't remember the most recent similar example, but it was pretty recent.
Anyway, before he comes, this baby will have a somewhat presentable room.
Annika has discovered, with our help, her "buggy buggin." If she can, she lifts up her shirt and points, lifts my shirt to point and points to John so that he can lift his shirt and point. She has to be careful because John's "buggy buggin" will swallow her hand in a gobbly manner. She thinks this is the funniest thing in the world. I think so too.
I'll put up pictures this weekend. Sorry its been a while, I tried last week but something went wrong.

8 comments:

Beee said...

Wow, you are more like John's family than I realized! You don't like the mormon pop music stuff and all. I will admit that I enjoy going to the Forgotten Carols, I went last night actually. I am easily entertained by people who have musical talent, what can I say. I am sorry you are missing out on all the other stuff that you really want to do. I am sure you will do great singing wherever you sing. I hope you have a fabulous day!

Moo said...

Very funny about the "buggy buggin". I have to agree on the cheesy Mormon music. Think of it as acting. I had a friend who always prepared by using her "fireside" voice, which included over-singing the songs as dramatically as possible with the occasional whispery tones. Sounds like everything else is coming along slowly, but surely. So is Annika's bedspread. It will be done by February!

Mary said...

A few years back, I went to an LDS music conference at BYU. I ended up going to a composing with computer class because, I had, well, ah, I had a problem with Mormon music. I felt guilty when I confessed to our ward music person, a very spiritual person and the kids piano teacher. Found out she didn't like it either. I don't like pretty songs, either. I keep waiting for something to happen. Having said all that, I have to confess that I listen to the Forgotten Carols every year on my CD or cassettes. Part of my tradition. I actually like a couple of the songs, like "Homeless" as sung a capella by a men's group.
PS Ask John about "bore a hole, borer a hole in the belly, belly button.

C said...

Well, not being LDS I have no idea what the Forgotten Carols are, but I have always trusted your fine tuned cheeze-meter so I'll take your word for it. If it's anything like general Christian pop, I concur. I don't know, something about church and rock music bugs me. I'm glad you're feeling well! :>

Beee said...

Once you get the spray paint off the changing table, I'm not sure if you would have to sand it. I think if you get a good primer, then that should take care of it, followed by the paint of course, but this is just from my vast experience of watching those silly remodeling shows. I can imagine it being easier than sanding. Just a suggestion. Oh, is there a DIY program on it?

Cynthia said...

John does "bore a hole" all the time. Sometimes she giggles with delight and sometimes she looks at him blankly! She likes it when he's a sheep and he "baas" into her belly.

Bee-good advice, there is probably something pretty informative online.

Beee said...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/202050/how_to_paint_shabby_chic_changing_table.html?cat=24
I found this off a google search.

jendalyn said...

I'm with you on Forgotten Carols. Curtis loves it, though. So one year for a surprise I bought tickets and took him on a date to see the show. Not that $14 a piece is all that expensive, but it was for us at the time, and the woman sitting directly behind us was there with her four kids--all younger than six. They were eating snacks (with crackly wrappers) and climbing on the chairs the whole time. Talk about torture!!!! I do agree with Mary--"Homeless" is pretty amazing a capella.